Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I cheated in Photography Class







So we hit 14 degree F this week and the snow is hard as ice outside and I can not help remember my sophomore year in high school back in 1994 when I cheated on a photography assignment. My teacher was Mr. Murphy and it was freezing cold weather and I had taken a picture of a residential parking lot filled with the same kind of frozen snow I see now. There was nothing grandiose about that picture, kind of sad actually, a few cars parked, bad winter afternoon lighting and a lonesome dog in the back, but I remember it was a good shot and Mr. Murphy thought so as well. For our final assignment, I do not recall what we had to shoot but I do recall how I was too busy or too lazy to do the work and I picked up someones film roll in the dark room and I developed it! Shame on me! Mr. Murphy of course found out because someone else had turned in the same assignment and he pulled me over to chat. He was such a gentlemen, slick and soft spoken and he did not have to say much, I just wanted to melt like that snow eventually would and disappear. I apologized and knew I had learned a great lesson in those few moments. As I see this cold weather and feel it, it still bugs me that I did not take the class seriously til the end but that I gave up, I gave in to my lazy ass self. Here are a few shots of my boys in the snow as a tribute to Mr. Murphy wherever he may be.




No comments: